Friday, February 26, 2010

And So The Saga Continues...

The saga of "I am a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad blogger!" I just felt the need to get that explanation out of the way. The explanation as to why in the world I would still be blogging about Christmas 2009 in February of TWO THOUSAND AND TEN! But I must...I must finish what I started and since I promised it tomorrow and tomorrow never came I just quit blogging altogether, lol! But it was a good Christmas...a fun Christmas and I like to look back through my blog and reminisce and so...the story continues!

So, once breakfast and Aunt Pam's birthday are celebrated we move to opening stockings and then gifts. We did keep the Santa tradition alive for quite a while but finally admitted the kids were old enough a couple of years ago and we came clean with them...much to their dismay!

I had some fun goodies for my mom's stocking this year. She had a necklace she had bought from a local artisan when they lived in League City that had broken. She had given it to me, oh...let's just say long enough ago that we had both forgotten about it...and asked me to restring it for her. I had agreed to do it and then promptly placed it out of sight and out of sight is definitely out of mind around here. When we were digging around looking for trinkets to go on Cam's Christmas sweater I came across it and decided I'd better get it done! Afterall, it had only been about 3 years ago that she had given it to me. She was very pleased!





Another fun stocking stuffer was given to my mom by the kiddo's. Back when the movie Shrek came out in theaters my mom and sister were brave enough to take all of them to see it. They came home reliving some of the scenes from the movies and laughing especially about the Puss N Boots character. Leighton told me that he wished he could find a little Puss N Boots to give to his Nana and I came across one that was a nutcracker. I haven't ever been overly fond of nutcrackers...none of us had until it was the last gift my sweet Bingo (my grandmother) gave to my mom on her last Christmas with us. I thought it would be a nice addition to my mom's collection of one and also spark a fond memory.



I wish I had a better picture of little Puss N Boots out of the bag but it's hard to open your own gifts, see what everyone else is getting and take pictures too. When I see a nutcracker I always think of my Bingo. Not necessarily because it was the last gift she gave to my mom but a different Nutcracker moment. One year, back in the era of "Cameron was an only child" we decided that all of us girls would go to see The Nutcracker downtown. Me, my mom, my sister, Bingo and Cameron...we got all dressed up and were ready for an exciting time at the theater. And it was fun! Fun and exciting and the performance was magnificent. During intermission I went to the bathroom with Bingo and while I was in the stall and she was in the stall next to me I looked down and saw her shoes. She had on one black shoe and one blue shoe. I quietly chuckled, wondering if I should draw it to her attention. When she came out I just couldn't help it and I told her, "Bingo, you have on one black shoe and one blue shoe." She looked down at her shoes, looked up at me and said "Oh, to hell with it!" To hell with it! Oh my goodness, we all had a good laugh about that! I mean rolling in the floor kind of laughing! Oh, how funny...here we were at the Houston Ballet, living the high life and my grandmother had on one blue shoe and one black shoe and she didn't even care! Hilarious!

We were blessed this year with being able to give our children nice gifts and oh, how I love giving gifts! Love it! Of course, they all ask for things, but they never know until Christmas morning if their wishes will be granted! Many of them were this year!

Jacque wished for a Harry Potter wand and her big bubba granted it...



and an Ipod Touch...



and she kept dropping subtle hints about boots...



and she adores Charlotte Bronte and Jane Austen...



Leigh had his heart set on a ViewSonic TV which is what every "real" gamer uses...



And yes I know that is a monitor and not a TV...don't even get me started on that! Just suffice to say don't ever buy electronics from Office Depot if there is even the slightest possibility that you may have to return or exchange them! I have decided to take my business elsewhere because of this little slip up and the way they handled the return.

And this is what happens if you can't make up your mind about what you might want for Christmas...



you get notes!



I joked that I would get him some real gifts if he would just get a haircut. I'm sure you have all noticed the hair and just for the record, I hate it! He is growing it for a good cause and I have tried to keep my mouth shut but I just have to voice my opinion every now and then. He has a long way to go and I miss my clean, cut Bubba. I asked him today if he was really just growing his hair for Locks of Love and he said, "mom! Do you really think I would do this to myself if I wasn't? I mean I don't even like the way my hair looks unless I wear a hat and I only have one hat!" I guess maybe I should help out the cause and buy him a few hats for his wardrobe!

Batman made an appearance...



No Bubba, I didn't get you those headphones...remember? I just got you some notes!



He really did get a nice accessory for his car that he terrorizes the neighborhood with. Boys! Hmmmm...what else? Well, I bought my mommy a camera and my daddy some warm crocs and a super charged toothbrush. :-) Cameron worked all night Christmas Eve on a dream catcher that she told her Aunt was for someone else but it was really for her coffee shop. I just love the look on their faces when she opened it...







Do you know what a dream catcher is? Cameron thinks everyone should have one...it's one of her missions in life!

Poor Zoe couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about...maybe she couldn't see through all of that hair...talk about someone else who needs a haircut!



Probably the most fun we had opening gifts was when Cameron and August gave their gift to their Nana and PawPaw. You see, they couldn't decide what to get their grandparents and so they re-enacted a little Christmas scene for them. My parents have always given our kids money for Christmas. The first year they gave them money they were pretty young and oh, how excited they were to have Christmas cash to spend! In subsequent years, mom and dad liked to act as though they weren't giving them money and once all the gifts were opened they would come in and say, "well, did you have a good Christmas...did you get everything you asked for or wanted?" Of course, the kids didn't want to seem ungrateful and they always said they did but inside you knew they were wondering if "that was all?" One year, PawPaw kept asking them and finally Leighton blurted out..."no! we didn't get the BIG BUCKS!" It was pretty funny. So, when all of the gifts were opened this year August and Cameron stood in the middle and asked their Nana and PawPaw, "well, Nana and PawPaw...did you have a good Christmas, did you get everything you wanted?" and they had a little Christmas cash for them. They had a lot of fun with that!













Maybe a little too much fun...I told them they couldn't have any more mimosas! HA!



Once the gift giving was out of the way we enjoyed a delicious meal of rib eyes, baked potato casserole, squash, and so much other yummy stuff...we ate ourselves silly. It was hard to muster the energy to head out with the kids to take our annual Christmas picture but we did. We had to wait a while for Cameron to get dressed but we should all be used to that by now and at least I have my annual Christmas picture even if it didn't make it's way into cards this year...it's just so darn hard to get them all together at once!





A good holiday was made even better when we got to visit with family. My Bingo's sister, Aunt Audrey (who is 92 years old), came to visit and my cousin's Jim, Bea and Gail too. If I live to be 92 years old I want to be just like my Aunt Audrey! She is the best!



One sad note concerning my sister's dog Baylee...



Shortly after we left to go home, Pam ended up in the animal emergency clinic with Baylee who has recently had a yeast infection and she was diagnosed with thyroid disease and congestive heart failure. It was quite an ordeal because Baylee is terrified of the vet and has quite the anxiety attack. She is on medication and doing better but I know that her time here with us will come to an end maybe sooner than we would like. So sad for all of us because our dogs are such a huge part of our family!

And last but not least, it is hard for me to write of what a wonderful holiday we had without thinking of all of those who were less fortunate. Times are tough for so many and we do know how blessed we are. We did participate in quite a few "pay it forward" activities this holiday season and continue to do so even if it is just to give a homeless person a dollar or two...which I did just last night even though the friend who was with me told me to roll up my window and lock my door! :-)

I'm glad I've gotten Christmas behind me! I have so much more to share...like how this little girl...



grew into this big girl...



and all of her good news!

Until next time!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE all the pics Darla!!! And that baby girl of yours? She turned into a BEAUTY!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails