Monday, May 04, 2009

By Observation

As my children grow older I realize the things I have taught them through observation. Our oldest daughter, Cameron, works in a restaurant and recently she learned that a co-worker's father had passed away. Cameron wanted to make food to take over for the family. This is something she has seen us do many times and lately it seems it is a tradition that is falling "out of style." I'm not sure if this is just a southern thing, but I do know that it only takes one experience of losing a close family member in the heart of a close knit southern community to understand what I am talking about. In any event, Cameron spoke with her boss and told him that she was going to cook for the family and he told her that she was welcome to raid the restaurant's pantry for any of the ingredients that she needed. She had decided to make her grandmother's Chicken Tetrazini, and let me tell you, it is delicious! On Sunday, she called the restaurant manager to let him know that she would be on her way and that the owner had told her she could pick up some stuff from the kitchen. He told her that was fine and asked what she was making. "Chicken Tetrazini," she said. The manager began laughing and Cameron asked, "What's so funny about Chicken Tetrazini?" Well, it seems that Maury Povitch had a guest on his show who had a specific complaint about chicken tetrazini. Just click on the link below and watch the clip! I promise you won't be disappointed...pretty funny stuff!

Chicken Tetrazini

I must admit there are occasions where I get caught up in Maury. I usually watch Family Feud when eating lunch, or it is sometimes just on here during the noon hour. Not that I really sit down and watch it. But...Maury airs right after Family Feud and so I sometimes find myself wrapped up in whether or not Antwain is the father of Shenequa's baby, if you KWIM? Or if Jamal cheated on Chantelle. Funny, one day David came home and wanted to know, "Why are you watching THAT?" I hardly noticed...hey, I'm the mom of four and you can ask anyone who knows me...I do know how to tune a lot of things out. But, still, from time to time, like I said...I get caught up!

In any event, I'm glad that the tradition of cooking for folks who are dealing with the loss of a loved one will continue with my children. And just in case you are in need of a good recipe for Chicken Tetrazini, I'm sharing mine with you. Just don't go seducing anyone's man with it, ya hear!

CHICKEN TETRAZINI (Grandma style)

1 whole chicken (we use boneless, skinless chicken breasts...about 4)
2-3 celery stalks

Boil chicken with celery, salt and whole peppercorns until chicken is tender. Cool and cut chicken in bite size pieces.

Save broth.

Melt 1 stick margarine in 2 quart saucepan. Saute 1 whole chopped onion, 1 small bell pepper. Stir in 3/4 cup flour and then 1 quart milk. Cook until sauce thickens. Add 1/2 lb. grated cheddar cheese, 1/2 lb. grated American cheese, 1/4 lb. grated Mozarella cheese, fresh parsley, 1 small can button mushrooms, 1 small jar pimentos, and 1 small can sliced black olives. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Cook 1 1/2 lbs. spaghetti noodles in chicken broth and drain. Pour sauce over chicken and noodles and mix well. Feeds an army (well 12-14 people AT least!)

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah for Cameron, she is a good girl. Where is the post about your sweet hubby who brought us that wonderful meal after Gavin's birth? Ha! Missed you today!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails