Saturday, July 25, 2009

Sharing a Little Vacation...

On our way to Garner State Park this year we took a little detour to New Braunfels to Gruene Grind Coffee Company! This is the coffee shop that my sister just opened right down the road from Gruene Hall. I am so happy and proud for her...she has combined two of her favorite things in life...coffee and music.



I totally love the look of the place! Isn't it so cool?!



Aunt Pam was nice enough to come back up after closing hours to fix us all a drink. They were all yummy! I had the caramel latte cuz my sweet little daddy recommended it, plus I needed the caffeine for the trip, lol!



Can you see how proud my mom and dad are? They are loving their new jobs helping Pam in the shop! (I think they are anyway, haha!) Pam (aka Doodle) has always been the musical talent in the family and she can play any instrument. She took piano lessons as a child and first learned to play the guitar from a show that was on PBS when she was just three years old. My daddy played in a band when we were little and there was always music in our home. Mom told me that Pam and her friend Geri would be playing the next Saturday and asked if we would drive back in as a surprise. So, on Saturday, one week in to our vacation, we made the drive back and I'm so glad that we did. It was great to see my sister up there doing what she loves and does best!









When we arrived my mom was at the cash register taking orders and my dad was helping out making drinks and washing dishes. I offered to help but they told me no to just enjoy the moment but it quickly became apparent that they really needed my help. I got in the kitchen and started washing dishes while still enjoying the music. Daddy was rushing around waiting on customers, making drinks, helping my mom and trying to quickly train me on the specific way in which dishes were to be washed. They get washed, rinsed and then rinsed in bleach water for sterilization purposes and placed in a drain rack. Have they never heard of a dishwasher...I mean a mechanical dishwasher, lol?! While Daddy was out front I changed the wash water and the next time he was back in the kitchen he said, "Ewww, Winnie (my nickname)...that's too much soap." I said, "Don't worry Daddy...I won't work here long!" He was so funny! I was trying to dry some of the dishes to place back out on the counter and then my mom came back and said, "Oh, you can't dry the dishes...they have to drip dry." I said, "Well, how 'bout if I hide and dry them?" Are you getting the picture here? They are rule followers, I am a rule breaker, lol! We have had a lot of laughs about this whole thing getting off the ground. My mom says my dad is afraid of the cash register (it's a touch screen) and the espresso machine, my dad complains that mom won't let him just do what he is good at which is making smoothies! So, if you stop by and want a smoothie...he's your man, lol! Don't ask him to ring you up though!

An extra special surprise was when Doodle asked Jacque to share the stage with her and she accepted!



See that look of pride on Aunt Pam's face?



Thank you girls! You made my night!



Well, Gruene Grind was not the only fun we had on vacation. Garner is something we do every year and it's just always so nice to get away and relax and visit with friends on the best river in Texas. Although no one ever says this I am sure they are wondering why in the world we go back to the same place every year for vacation. There was a t-shirt in the gift shop one year that said "It's a Garner thing...you wouldn't understand" and if you have never been to Garner then you don't understand. It's just one of those traditions that if you don't continue it, your life just doesn't seem normal! The river, skies, stars, landscape are all just so beautiful! It is truly God's country! Can you blame us for going back every year?



One of the highlights of our stay are the annual frisbee football games (it's a Garner thing!) that the kids play. I love to go down to the pavilion and watch and take pictures but the games can get pretty intense. After a near face plant by Nick, Leighton almost running into a stone wall and August diving as if he were on the football field I suggested that they play down in the grassy area instead of on the dance floor. Leighton let me know that it wouldn't be the same there because of all the people who hang around just to watch them. It is true...they draw quite the audience! and I get great shots like these:



















A couple pics of our campsite...and wow, we had a trailer this year!



This is my all time favorite piece of camping gear. David made it from a sink that was tossed in the trash. It makes washing dishes so much easier!



At night we head on down to the pavilion to dance under the beautiful starry Texas skies!





The annual tree picture



No trip is ever complete without stopping at Neal's for a home cooked meal...



Shopping at The Dry Fifty...



Taking pics at some of the hot spots...







and this year we added a stop...pig shopping on the way back home! Check out their plastic boots, ha!



It was another great year even though some friends and our oldest baby girl were missing...hopefully next year they will be able to join us again!

Hope you are all enjoying your summer too!

2 comments:

  1. I love, love, love the coffee shop and I can not wait to go see it one day.

    Look at all those beautiful children in Garner.

    The campsite looked wonderful...and I am sure David's food was to die for.

    I missed you sooooooo much...I am so thankful Garner is only 1 time a year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh...it looks like you had a great time! Garner is ALWAYS a blast :)

    The coffee shop was adorable and I realized that you look EXACTLY like your mom!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails