Saturday, July 18, 2009

Where I've Been...



We are back from our annual sojourn at Garner State Park. We had a great time but it's always good to be home. It was very hot this year and the Frio River was not even enough to cool us down. The drought that the area is experiencing is considered to be the worst ever on record. Haven't had much time to catch the news since we got home but I am hoping that the area got some much needed rain as we did.

One of the first things that we did upon returning was head to the barn to check on our animals. My friend, Christy had told me that our Momma Cat at the barn had been attacked by a pit bull and had been missing for three days. Can you believe that a parent would be foolish enough to bring a dog to the barn knowing that there is a Momma Cat and her kittens there? I am just appalled that someone would be so thoughtless. I retrieved my keys from Christy, fed our animals and went home. A few hours later Christy called to tell me that she had found Momma Cat and that she was pretty tore up. She asked me to come back to the barn to have a look at her. Bless her little heart...she had been hiding amongst some wheelbarrows. She was extremely dehydrated and was dragging her back legs. She had a wound on her bottom which had become infested with fly larvae (I can't bring myself to type the "M" word!) We gave her some water and Christy felt like she was beyond helping and thought that we should have her put to sleep. I said, "Now, wait a minute...maybe Rusty can fix her up." Rusty is our vet friend in Nome and if anyone could save her, he was our man. She called Rusty while I called August and Leighton to come up and help us with her. August and Leighton washed out her wound and flushed it with iodine and peroxide and gave her water. Rusty told us to take her home and keep her cool and try to get some antibiotics in her and to bring her out in the morning. Poor little momma cat...when we brought the kennel out she tried to crawl right in as if she knew we were trying to help her.

Do you remember Momma Cat? I have blogged about her before...



She seemed to rest peacefully yesterday and I actually held out some hope that she would be able to pull through. Even though she was unable to walk I knew that she still had feeling in her legs. I loaded her up in my van today and headed to Nome and the news was not good. Rusty said that her rectum was completely torn out and that the best thing would be to put her to sleep. Oh, it just broke my heart! I stayed with her through the procedure and tried to reassure her that she had been loved.

I know all of this may seem so silly...afterall, she was only a barn cat. But, I am, and will always be an animal lover. Blame it on Miss Twiggley's Tree, a favorite childhood story of mine. I had aspirations of my own to live in a tree house and rescue stray dogs. Or perhaps it was my Pappy telling me about the farm he would have some day...I just wish that the person who thought it was a good idea to bring a pit bull to the barn (and apparently without a leash) would have realized that it was not a good idea at all before this had to happen. I would like to snatch their heads off right about now!

My two sweet sons buried her at the barn tonight...I have the best kids ever!

Feeling very sad tonight ...

7 comments:

  1. I've missed you Darla...and I am SO SO sad about momma cat. I know how hard that probably was for you...poor little kitty. I am sad now too :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sad and breaks my heart. Were there baby kitties left behind? Do you know who this person was that brought the dog? I am thinking they need to be told of the end result and that the dog is not welcome to come back to the barn for a visit.
    I'm proud of your boys for cleaning the cat's wounds and and then burying her later. They are good boys and they really do care about animals. I hate that you had to take her to be put down but am glad you were with her to comfort her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Carri, there were baby kitties left behind but they are old enough to eat food thank goodness! I do know who brought the dog but it is pointless to try to reason with them. The ag teachers are supposed to address the situation so we shall see what happens.

    Thank you both for your words of encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh NO Darwa...Poor little Momma Kitty. I mean why don't they just let you be the Ag teacher and run the barn? I just don't understand,everyone would be so much better off...including the animals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This breaks my heart and pisses me off all at the same time. I am so sorry. Momma Cat deserved so much better than this. Thank goodness you were there to help her and to be with her. I don't understand how someone could be so careless and stupid. It just breaks my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I know Laura...I totally missed my calling right? If only all of this would have been available to me as a kid maybe I would have traveled that path, lol! My kids are so lucky to have all of the things that are offered to them through the school. We didn't even have a softball team and we had to play half court basketball for a while too! Ah...the torture, haha!
    Thank you for your kind word Lisa...you are right...she deserved so much more! God bless Momma Cat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:54 AM

    That is so sad. It's wonderful that you stayed with her. That's such a gift to both you and momma cat. That's how I felt when I held Bear as she died. Jerri

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails