Saturday, January 16, 2010

Playing Catch Up!

Finally sitting down to catch up on all of our Christmas activities. For some reason I just can't make myself sit here and blog...I have a very short attention span and there is always so much to distract me and it really doesn't take much!

Our Christmas festivities begin with our annual family tree trimming party. It is something we have done for as long as I can remember. The kids have always loved it but as they get older it is hard to get everyone together on the same day. But I hold out, even if it means our tree goes up later than I'd like. I suppose the day will come when everyone is married with their own family and our little party will come to an end. Every year I get a new ornament for each of them and we have finger foods, play Christmas music and decorate. Well, it starts with everyone decorating and then everyone sits around and watches me decorate, ha! It has been fun watching them with this task. When they were little they would grab ornaments as fast as they could and put them all on the same limb. I would redecorate when they went to bed. It took several days, lol! They didn't seem to notice then but now they always ask me, "Mom, are you going to redecorate the tree when we go to bed?" Our tree is just such a hodgepodge of memories, but I love it! Almost every ornament that goes on our tree has a special memory attached to it and I wouldn't change that for the world.

When the kids were little they hated these ornaments:



They called them the "fat ornaments" or the "ugly ones" and told me innocently that they did not like them. I loved them...of course I did...I made them. I started on them when I was still in high school. I had been dreaming of my family for years! These days they have a different perspective and I think it is safe to say they are one of our family heirlooms. They have been on our tree for at least 25 years now!

I also painted these cute little gingerbread ornaments and I love them too. I am glad that my kids will have these handmade ornaments to cherish when we are gone and I hope that they will pass them down to their children.



And of course there is the assortment of ornaments they have made. I love the Sesame Street characters. David and the kids made these together one day when I was out. The snowman ornament was made by my niece, Annie and it is one of my favorites!



Of course there are cars, airplanes and boats...there are boys in our home!



And for the girls, Barbie, Scarlet, Pocohontas, Lucy and Jasmine...



Lots of Santas because I collect them...



I think that my favorite ornaments on our tree are the Polonaise ornaments that a good friend told me about. They are hand blown and just so beautiful. This set is always the first to go on the tree...Baby Jesus and his mommy and daddy...



And then I have this Peter Pan set which I just love! It is one of our favorite stories...



I got the Peter Pan ornaments at a Christmas store in Lubbock one year while visiting my sister. I haven't seen any of these boxed sets since then! If you know where I can get more please leave me a comment. I would love to add to my collection. These ornaments are just the neatest thing and come in their own little box for safekeeping...







Aren't those just the coolest ornaments ever!

There are times I think I would like to change our tree. I love trees with a theme but unfortunately our house is not large enough for more than one Christmas tree and I'm not willing to give up our tree full of memories! There is just nothing better than sitting around your living room, listening to Christmas music, drinking virgin Pina Coladas and eating little smokies in barbeque sauce with your family, lol!

And who in the heck takes pictures of their ornaments but doesn't move back and take a picture of the entire tree...that would be me! I guess there is always next year!

3 comments:

  1. I love all of the ornaments and the story behind each one. Can you please post a picture of the entire tree?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the gingerbread ornaments!

    Your decorating ritual sounds like ours, especially the part where everyone ends up watching me decorate. Funny how that happens every year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think our trees are sisters! I have "12" of your gingerbread ornaments that you gave me. Also one of your 'fat' ones (then I made my own fat ones). I have several of the clothespin reindeer that David made one year. Lately I have been buying a Radko or Adler a year for our tree when the boys take theirs away from me. I love Christmas Trees!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails